Sunday, March 04, 2012

Sic transit.... and a note on format

 Today's story is a just few months old, but it reminds me of the Vichy destruction of statues during WWII.
Late in the 19th century, Paris was overtaken with "Statuemania"in which tons of bronze and marble went up around town to honor anyone who had cash and a little notoriety. When the war effort needed metal (some say it stayed in France, more say that Germany got the goods) in WWII, Vichy declared "off with their heads" to those works still standing without "artistic or historic merit". Of course, who made those decisions were pretty suspect.
And now- Russia has an interesting twist on the post Soviet corrupt race for fame.
Enjoy!
 http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2011/11/20111126195854957412.html

Readers may have noticed a general change of format here on the Stone Pilgrim blog.
Because I've been slamming with so many other activities the past couple of years, I have tended not to post rather than just give a cursory overview of my topic.
Well, two things are happening.
1) My life is about to undergo a major change, allowing me to devote more of my time to my deep love of public sculpture. Within the next couple of years, I expect to wallow in Sculptural Assassination once again- especially since I've been running across some swell stories to include.
2) I want to get back in touch with the public sculpture news and one way of doing it is to post the links I find along the way.
So welcome back everyone- and enjoy!!!
Feel free to post comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because blogger has made it impossible for comments to appear on this blog, please send all comments to cassidyp4@netscape.net
I'd love to hear from you and will post your responses in the post itself.
Thanks!